Monday, July 27, 2009

Neshoba County Fair

So, It is not like I haven't ever heard of this supposedly huge thing called the Neshoba County Fair...but I just didn't think it would be that big of a deal. Nor did my husband, Craig. Well a friend of Craig's invited us to come up Saturday night, which was opening weekend of the fair. We decided that it would be at least fun to get out of the house. So we went.

We leave the house prepared for a relatively short drive, about 1.5 hours. The majority of the way was SO BORING, as far a scenery is concerned. Back road, country bumkin as bad as it gets. All the way Craig & I are still thinking that this Fair can't be that big of a deal. Well we finally arrive at the fair, we were going down some country road and then.... WHAM...there is like a sea of cars EVERYWHERE! We could not freaking believe how many people were at this thing. And it's not like it is just the country folk that show up to this thing. As we came down the main road, and even throughout parking, there was definitely a mix of types of cars.... Old beat up chevy from 1980's, then a Mercedes, then an accord, then another truck, then a Lexus, then a Tahoe...you get my point. All sorts of people. So I suppose that the point of all this rambling is that it was SOOOOO much fun & it was totally unexpected! Can't wait for next year!

This place is loaded with hundreds of little tiny shack cabins. They area like 2 feet apart from one another. They are mostly all painted wild colors. It's a sight.


Our friends cabin is called the 'Groovy Garden'. Fitting, since he is a Landscape Architect...I think.?
The little swing on the front porch. So cute.

So those of you who know my punk ass husband, know that he is pretty shy if he doesn't know you & then still doesn't usually have a whole lot to say to people he does. Sometimes. Well I have known this man for more than 6 years now & he still can be shy around me to a degree. For instance...Playing the guitar & singing. The man has a gorgeous voice & knows how to play a guitar okay, but WILL NOT SING TO ME? Why? Retard I suppose. Anyway, we get to the fair, & he took his guitar with him. We weren't there a freaking hour (so not long enough to get liquored up), and His ass is singing around an assload of people he doesn't even know. But nooooooOOOOOOOOooooooo not to his wife. Asshole.


Enjoying watching my fruitloop of a hubby sing & play. He really is a good singer. I mean, if he would do that at home, well....enough said.

This is Craig & I getting messed with by the kiddos. They were so cute. They made us wear some crap & take pictures with it. I think they just really wanted to play with my camera!
This is me wearing the Mullet Wig that they were going to use the next night for their 80's themed party

Here is Craig wearing a crown...How sweet.

One of the funniest things happens at this cabin every night or mostly every night at midnight. There were so many people gathered around & waiting for this even to happen. It was sort of unbelievable, but then after seeing it all take place, you understand why. Wanna know what it is?
....wait for it......

Hermit Crab Racing. HERMIT CRAB RACING!

Yep, not kidding. They freaking race Hermit crabs.?? When I first heard of this little event I thought it couldn't be more stupid. But I'm telling you, it was funny as hell just to watch how into it these people got! I think it is one of those things that you have to be there to get.

Here is the VERY sophisticated racing track. Serious isn't it.

Here are the crabs. They are all numbered so that you can keep up with the very serious betting that goes on.


They pass out a playing cards to bet with. You pay your money, you get a card with a number on it, if your crab wins ....so do you. Easy enough. We lost 2 or 3 games, but then one the last one, ended up breaking even. If you really cared to know that.
Taking everyone's money, I mean....Look at all these freaking people!


Here is what I think ended up being the winning card for us! Yay!

This is Perry, She is the keeper of the Hermit Crabs. She takes care of them all year long, just to have them ready for this event!!
And the racing begins....
On your mark....
Get set, GOOOO!
Here are the crabs running to the finish line. The point of the game is for the crab you are betting on to make it out of the big circle first. Or last, depending one which game they re playing. They do both. Like I said...Very Sophisticated. ;)
So if you are at the fair next year, be sure and head over to the Hermit Crab Races! They are a hit & pretty hilarious to watch! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment